Texas teenager, 17, takes down two home invaders, one escapes

According to Newsweek, a 17-year-old boy in Texas fatally shot two men who allegedly tried to break into his home on Friday night, September 9th.

At about 10:40 p.m., the Harris County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a home invasion. According to the office’s press release, three armed men wearing masks allegedly attempted to break into a home in Channelview, a suburb east of Houston.

At the time of the attempted break-in, an adult woman, a 12-year-old boy, and two 17-year-old boys were inside the house. When one of the 17-year-olds realized the men were attempting to enter, he grabbed a shotgun. According to the press release, he fired it several times at the alleged burglars, striking two of them.

The third suspect fled the scene without injury in an unidentified dark-colored four-door sedan, according to the press release.

When law enforcement arrived, they discovered two men suffering from gunshot wounds and unresponsive. According to the sheriff’s office, emergency management personnel pronounced them both dead at the scene.

The Harris County district attorney’s office recommended that the case be presented to a Harris County grand jury, the sheriff’s office added.

On Saturday morning, additional information regarding the incident, including the identities of those involved, remained unknown. Local authorities continue to investigate the incident, and anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Harris County Sheriff’s Office homicide unit at (713) 274-9100.

Other Recent Home Invasions

Each night, many homes in the United States are targets of home invasions. A 2019 Department of Justice (DOJ) study found that more than 1.1 million burglaries occurred that year, with victims suffering a cumulative $3 billion in losses. According to SafeWise, most burglaries happen during the daytime, and are most common between June and August.

In June, a man from Sydney was conducting a TikTok livestream when somebody broke into his home. One of the suspects allegedly punched the victim, 33-year-old Wally Assad. Authorities said Assaad reportedly answered the door of his granny flat when he heard a knock. When he opened it, he was punched in the face and knocked to the floor, unconscious.