6-year-old who hears father yelling for help uses Google to save his life

What Kyle didn’t realize was that his 6-year-old’s refusal to leave the house that day would end up saving his life.

Kyle Semrau thought April 12 was like any other day, except that his daughter, Macie, refused to go to school. What Kyle didn’t realize was that his 6-year-old’s firm decision would end up saving his life.

The kindergartener was missing her father so much that she expressed her desire to stay at home, which is unusual for the young girl. Her grandmother’s death anniversary was also on that day, so her parents agreed to let her miss school.

Kyle didn’t seem to be feeling well that day after returning home from his night job due to an ongoing problem with his sinuses and lungs. As a result, he decided to stay at home with Macie and his son, Caleb, 4, while his wife went to work.

Later that morning, however, the father-of-two’s condition deteriorated as he struggled to breathe and repeatedly lost consciousness. When he briefly regained consciousness, he yelled for assistance.

Fortunately, his daughter was nearby and rushed over to him. When Kyle regained consciousness, Macie asked him for the password to his cell phone so she could unlock it. She Googled “Eliot Poliz” after successfully overcoming the barrier.

“I pressed this button and typed Eliot Police, and I hit call. I don’t want to say this, but I thought he was going to die,” Macie told Boston25 News. At the other end of the phone was Judy Smith from the Eliot Police Department. Smith, says Macie “knew everything” including her home address, her father’s age and name, and how police could quickly reach him inside the basement room where he was sleeping.

Meanwhile, Caleb couldn’t help but worry. “Macie called the police and I was crying a lot, and then she (Judy) heard me crying on the phone and then she said it was OK,” the 4-year-old told Seacoastonline. Macie figured out how to unlock the basement door and even instructed her brother to close an upstairs door to keep the dogs at bay until police arrived.

Kyle was later rushed to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital and has since returned home after spending three days there recovering. The father regards himself as extremely fortunate to have survived the incident.  “Just incredible all around. I’m very lucky, obviously because of my daughter and son and the (police) response. It was quick,” he said. 

“If I can say anything about this whole experience, it’s for everyone to teach kids about awareness. If I hadn’t taught my daughter certain things she wouldn’t learn in school, this outcome could have been completely different. She is, and will always be my hero,” he added.

One thought on “Second-ever pig heart transplant offers hope to dying man: ‘Now I have hope’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *