A young boy has been hailed as a hero after he saved his family from a fire that broke out in their home early Sunday morning. Noah Woods, a five-year-old boy, woke up to find flames near his bed and immediately sprang into action to ensure the safety of his family of nine.
“I picked Lily up, got to the window with Lily, got the dog and got out,” Noah recounted to WSBTV. “That’s it.”
Noah’s quick thinking and bravery helped save his family’s lives. He grabbed his two-year-old sister Lily and the family dog and escaped through a window when an electrical fire broke out in their bedroom. After ensuring that Lily was safe, Noah went back inside the house to wake his uncle and alert the rest of the family.
The Bartow County Fire Department praised Noah, posting on social media, “Our hero! 5-year-old Noah Woods recently woke up to find his bedroom on fire. He got himself and his 2-year-old sister out of the window to escape the fire and re-entered the house to alert the rest of the family.”
All nine members of the family were able to evacuate safely, with only minor injuries sustained, including a small burn on Noah’s wrist. The family’s home was destroyed, and a GoFundMe page has been set up to help with expenses.
Holding the hand of a 5yr old hero! Meet the boy who saved his family from a house fire… He got a small burn on his wrist. @wsbtv at 5pm pic.twitter.com/0kTr2lqW9v— Wendy Corona (@WendyCoronaWSB) February 10, 2020
“If it wasn’t for Noah, I mean, we were all asleep, so we wouldn’t have known what was going on,” said David Woods, Noah’s grandfather. “We could’ve all lost our lives.”
In recognition of his bravery, Noah will be recognized as an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and presented with a Lifesaving Award. While the family must rebuild their home, they are grateful to have each other thanks to Noah’s quick thinking and heroic actions.