2-year-old boy who disappeared in Okfuskee county was found dead

The Muscogee Creek Nation confirmed Monday evening that Ares Muse, the 2-year-old who disappeared in Okemah Monday morning, was found dead.

Earlier, several law enforcement agencies was searching for a missing and endangered 2-year-old boy last seen early Monday morning at an Okfuskee County home.

Oklahoma Department of Public Safety officials said the child, identified as Ares Muse, crawled into bed around 1:30 a.m. When his father woke up at 6:30 a.m., he said he noticed that Ares was not in bed and wasn’t inside the home, according to authorities.

The father told DPS that the child was able to get past three locking mechanisms prior to opening an exterior door.

Jason Salsman, press secretary with Muscogee Creek Nation, said authorities were using everything from K9s to drones in the search for the boy.

Salsman said there were about 20 different law enforcement agencies assisting in the search.

Ares is 3 feet tall, weighs 35 pounds, and has brown eyes and blond/brown hair. He was last seen wearing black footie pajamas with orange and green dinosaurs.

Heart-stopping video captures moment California man saves his toddler from drowning

Law enforcement, local officials mourn after Ares Muse was found dead

An emotional Jason Salsman, press secretary for Muscogee Creek Nation stepped to the microphones to deliver the news that two-year-old Ares Muse was found dead after an hours long search.

“Right now, we just ask that prayers that have been prayed today from all over Oklahoma and everybody who kept up with this story shift those prayers now to those families and the law enforcement officers who poured their heart and soul into the search,” Salsman said.

The search area expanded a mile and the news even further into town to Okemah. Police have said family members say Muse got into bed with them around 1:30 a.m. and by 6:30 a.m., he was gone.

The search area expanded a mile near the home. The news reached the town of Okemah.

“I am thinking about my nieces,” said Kevin Smith.

Kevin Smith who lives in town says he’s holding them closer now

“Going to keep a close eye on them, any noise I hear,” he said.

He is being even more watchful than ever after seeing the scene with troopers, fire fighters, drones and just about every resource locally, from the state and the tribes poured into the nearby town.

Smith said, “Freaks me out.”

The investigation now shifts to how did little Ares get out of this house.

“From what I understand it was three locks on a door,” Salsman said.

Salsman wouldn’t provide any more information beyond a door with multiple locks that Ares may have gotten past.

He says police are considering this an active investigation and speaking with family members to learn more about how he disappeared.

“That is all a part of the investigation, and they are asking those questions,” Salsman said. “No reason to believe anything other than the fact that they are doing all that they can and everything they do investigating, asking the questions. These guys are now doing their job in that stead to come to any kind of end that they will.”

An unfortunate ending for search crews from state, tribal and local law enforcement.

“We did have so many resources out. All hands-on deck. An incredible search and so many people. We were asked a number earlier. It was old must too be hard to count. we had over 20 different agencies involved, horseback, dogs, you name it. it was an all-out effort to find this boy,” Salsman said.

Lighthorse Police have not yet said where he was found in the search area.